Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

History

PCL is a group of independent construction companies owned by more than 4,400 employee shareholders across the United States, Canada, and Australia. As a diversified general contractor, PCL celebrates the past and builds for the future. Read below to discover PCL’s history: starting in Canada, expanding through the United States, and into Australia.

TIMELINE

1906

Ernest Poole starts a construction business in the province of Saskatchewan, Canada.

1913

Ernest’s company incorporates as Poole Construction Company Limited.

1932  

Ernest moves the Poole family and headquarters to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Poole survives the Depression by diversifying into highway and irrigation work.

1948 pool construction

John and George Poole purchase the company from their father, Ernest. Poole Engineering is formed jointly with Peter Kiewit Sons of Omaha, Nebraska, to pursue highway and airport work, as well as large joint venture projects. That partnership ends in 1958.

1949

Poole enters into industrial construction with
its first major project, a CIL Explosives Plant.

1960

John and George Poole assist developer Don Love with the start up of Oxford Leaseholds. This successful business partnership continues today. Don Love is later named PCL’s “Client of the 20th Century.”

1979

Poole Construction Limited’s name is changed to PCL Construction Ltd.

1986

Following Bob Stollery’s appointment to the position of chairman, Bob Tarr is appointed vice chairman and chief executive officer of PCL Construction Group Inc.

1975  

Poole enters the United States market, opening a new buildings office in Denver, Colorado, (the site of our US Head Office today) to build the Colorado Square in Colorado Springs.

1977

Bob Stollery and 24 other senior managers purchase the company from the Poole family, signaling the start of employee ownership.

1978

PCL establishes its first pipe fabrication shop for industrial operations.

1984

PCL is awarded construction of the Alex Fraser Bridge in Vancouver, British Columbia. At 3,050 feet, it was the longest cable-stayed bridge in the world from the time of its opening in 1986 until 1991. The company also builds the 69-story Scotia Plaza in Toronto, which was the second tallest office building in Canada at that time.

1990

The PCL College of Construction is launched to support the company’s learning culture.

1992

PCL Denver is named the first winner of the inaugural Bob Tarr Safety Award, which is still in existence today.

1995

PCL makes its first external company acquisition: Monad, an industrial contractor.

1986

Permanent civil infrastructure operations are established in Florida and Arizona.

1991

Joseph Thompson is appointed vice chairman and chief executive officer of PCL Construction Group Inc., following the passing of Bob Tarr.

1997

PCL’s first Hawaii project, the Hawaii Convention Center (our largest design-build project at that time) is completed in just 730 days, and one month ahead of schedule! Ross Grieve is appointed president and chief executive officer, and Joseph Thompson takes on the position of chairman on a full-time basis.

1999

PCL completes the 900,000-square-foot STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, California, in a record 18 months.

2000  

PCL completes construction of 15 schools across Nova Scotia through its first public/private partnership, an innovative business relationship in which the public and private sectors partner to share risks, rewards, and project responsibilities.

2001

PCL is awarded its first LEED® gold-certified project: the Seattle Terminal Radar Approach Control Facility in Washington.

2003

Atlanta-based Teton Industrial is acquired to further PCL’s US industrial expansion. Edmonton-based Intracon Power is acquired to pursue electrical contracting work on industrial projects.

2006

PCL celebrates 100 years of growth and prosperity, building the LEED ® gold-certified Ross Grieve Centennial Learning Centre at its Edmonton headquarters as a tribute to past, present and future generations of employees.

2010

PCL sets up an Industrial satellite office in Houston, Texas.

2002

PCL purchases the assets of the Bakersfield, California-based operations of Fisher-Klosterman to establish our first industrial operation in the United States. The new company is renamed PCL Industrial Services, Inc.

2004  

PCL opens new buildings offices in San Diego, California, and Honolulu, Hawaii.

2007

For the first time PCL sees billings in excess of $6 billion.

2009

Paul Douglas is appointed president and chief executive officer, and Ross Grieve takes on the position of chairman. PCL sets up its Transportation Infrastructure Group (based in Tampa, Florida), and the Water Infrastructure Group (based in Phoenix, Arizona).

2011

PCL records a record low Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) of 0.71 with a record low Lost-Time Frequency Rate (LTFR) of 0.03 and sets itself a new frontier by securing a major joint venture health care project in Melbourne, Australia.