DENVER & SNOWMASS VILLAGE, Colo. – Joint venture partners PCL Construction Services, Inc. (PCL) and CFC Construction (CFC), in association with OZ Architecture, are pleased to announce the recent LEED® Gold certification of the Viceroy Hotel in Snowmass, Colorado.
The Viceroy Hotel in Snowmass,
Colorado, built by CFC/PCL
Construction, a joint venture, is the
first luxury hotel to achieve
prestigious designation from the US
Green Building Council (USGBC).
The Viceroy Hotel, constructed by CFC/PCL and designed by OZ, is a 365,000-square-foot ski-in/ski-out high-end luxury resort and conference center. The hotel, which was completed ahead of schedule and under budget, comprises 154 units, underground parking, full-service spa, indoor/outdoor Après Ski Bar, and pool area. The building structure is pre-cast concrete with cast-in-place concrete toppings and a structural steel roof. By incorporating sustainable design and construction and innovative operational practices, Viceroy Snowmass, as stated in the company’s news release, “redefines luxury while ensuring future generations are able to enjoy the area’s pristine, high-alpine environment.”
To obtain LEED certification, a project must follow strict guidelines during design and construction. Sustainable construction operations, waste diversion, and water and energy-efficient practices were implemented by the team at the building site. Some examples of these practices include
Reduced fuel consumption and vehicle emissions
- Soil removed from the site was reused throughout Snowmass, reducing the need to transport soil off-site.
- Mass transit was provided for construction workers to and from the jobsite.
- Preference was given to building materials sourced and manufactured locally to minimize the impact of transporting materials.
- The hotel is located within walking distance of citywide public transportation and basic services.
- The hotel provides priority parking and parking discounts for low-emitting and hybrid vehicles.
- Electric and hybrid shuttle vehicles are provided by the hotel for guest transportation.
Reduced waste generation
- The construction waste management plan specified the reducing, reusing, and recycling of waste.
- Utilized materials high in recycled content.
- Remanufactured concrete structures, plumbing, and electrical assemblies reduce waste onsite.
- The hotel provides refillable metal water bottles to guests, with refilling stations throughout the resort.
- The hotel uses refillable bottles for soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc.
- Hotel parking is placed below grade to preserve 50 percent open space onsite and reduce impervious site surfaces.
- Resort landscaping incorporates native plantings.
- Incorporated low-flow plumbing fixtures, dual flush toilets, and waterless urinals.
- Renewable energy credits purchased from Native Energy, Inc. will offset 70 percent of the Viceroy’s energy use during its first two years of operation.
- Building systems and envelope are designed to optimize energy performance.
- Exterior lighting is designed to reduce light pollution and increase night sky access.
- Thermostats in rooms are equipped with motion sensors to deactivate heating or cooling if the room is unoccupied.
LEED was established by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), and projects are certified by the Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI). LEED is North America’s preeminent program for the design, construction, and operation of high-performance green buildings.
ABOUT PCL CONSTRUCTION SERVICES, INC. (DENVER)
PCL Construction Services, Inc. is part of the PCL family of companies, the sixth-largest contracting organization in the United States and the eighth Top Green Contractor. PCL has major offices in 27 locations across the US, Canada, and the Caribbean. In 2010, PCL celebrated 35 years of building success in the United States, and the group’s US Head Office is located in Denver, Colorado. Watch us build at www.pcl.com.
ABOUT CFC/COLORADO FIRST CONSTRUCTION SERVICES, INC. (GOLDEN)
CFC/Colorado First Construction is a Colorado-owned and operated General Contractor/Construction Manager/Design Builder headquartered in Golden, Colorado. Founded in 1983 by E.J Olbright to serve the Rocky Mountain resort community, CFC/Colorado First Construction has expanded throughout the Rocky Mountain region. Specializing in timber and wood-framed construction, the firm is highly regarded as a multi-family, luxury residential builder. Several Project managers are LEED AP, BD+C qualified. CFC/Colorado First Construction is proud of the continuing relationship with PCL and OZ and the successful collaboration on Viceroy Snowmass. www.cfcc.com
ABOUT OZ ARCHITECTURE
OZ Architecture is one of the largest and most successful architecture firms in Colorado, providing architecture, planning and interior design services to clients nationally and internationally. Founded in 1964, the firm has established itself as a leader in sustainable development, urban living, mountain resorts and hospitality and planning for emerging nations. OZ Architecture maintains studios in Denver, Boulder, and Colorado Springs, Colorado. For more information, visit www.ozarch.com