This project consists of the demolition and fit-up construction of the existing Bank of Canada Head Office building. The complex, comprising approximately 850,000 square feet of finished space, occupies an entire city block in Ottawa’s dense downtown core. The project renovation works have been designed to maintain the major architectural components of the Centre Building (a classical grey-granite structure opened in 1938) and the two modern glass towers and indoor atrium (designed by renowned Canadian architect Arthur Erickson, completed in 1979).
Major components of the project include complete interior demolition and fit-up of office space, new structural concrete shear walls and floor slab infills, new staircase configurations, washrooms, and an extensive Dynamic Buffer Zone on each tower floor to provide better thermal control of the exterior envelope. New building systems infrastructure was installed throughout the building, including new roof-level mechanical penthouses and main electrical rooms in the basement. Building systems have been upgraded to conform to modern codes with respect to accessibility, fire, life safety, and seismic requirements.
Additional specialist function areas constructed include a conference and auditorium space, the Bank of Canada Museum space, meeting rooms, kitchens and food-service facilities, cafés, a gymnasium, and open floor-plan office space.
Extensive external plaza works include the construction of a new glass pyramid, which will serve as the main entry for the Bank of Canada Museum and smaller pyramids for outdoor presentation space.