The Wellington Building is a Federal Government office building built in 1927 and expanded in 1959. The 481,684-square-foot building has seven floors above grade (including the penthouse) and two levels below. This contract is the first of a two-phase refurbishment project and involved hazardous material abatement, protection of heritage elements, full interior demolition, and a major seismic upgrade, with the structure being stiffened by the addition of steel floor plates, diagonal braces, and new concrete shear walls. This project is a critical path component of the long-term vision and plan for the Parliamentary Precinct in downtown Ottawa.
A component of the demolition involved the structural steel removal of a 13,400-square-foot core area at every level, from roof to sub-basement. The resulting hole was infilled with new columns, shaft walls, and floor slabs – the equivalent of constructing a building inside a building. A temporary heating system and electrical system with lighting and a fire alarm were installed and left in place, pending construction of the next phase.
A crucial and challenging component of this project was the protection of heritage elements within the Beaux Arts-style building. This included the documentation, dismantling, and crating of heritage marble, doors, and metals designated to be removed in the pre-work stages, and providing protection measures for heritage materials specified to remain. These protection measures included implementing stringent vibration protection and monitoring to maintain peak particle vibration velocities to acceptable levels.