The Centre Street Bridge was originally built in 1916. Designated as an historical municipal resource, the bridge, which carries 34,000 vehicles per day, was in need of a major overhaul. The City of Calgary took this rehabilitation project as an opportunity to restore the bridge to its original appearance, including the famous lions.
This high-profile project included demolition of the 1974 and 1916 upper deck superstructure, as well as the entire lower deck. The upper deck was reconstructed to be 1.52 meters (4.98 ft.) wider, while the lower deck was built 350mm wider. All of the exterior spandrel walls and portions of the interior spandrel walls were also replaced. In addition to the structural enhancements, architectural elements were added to conform to the original 1916 construction, including the new kiosks, decorative crests, buffalo heads, pier viewing platforms, feature lighting, and the replacement of the lions.
PCL took over this project from another contractor who had fallen behind the required schedule. Using a concrete rubble berm in the river and a two-shift operation, PCL accelerated demolition and concrete work activities. The end result was achieving substantial completion a month early.