Located in the heart of the University of Manitoba's Fort Garry campus, the Engineering and Information Technology Centre is a key point of interest for both students and staff. This project included construction of a new 13,500-square-meter (145,312 sq.-ft.) building and renovation of 10,000 square meters (107,639 sq. ft.) of existing facilities, some of which were built in 1914. The new and existing buildings now serve as one complex. PCL self-performed all 5000 cubic meters (176,573 cu. ft.) of the cast-in-place concrete structure.
PCL — in conjunction with the owner, architect, and authorities — explored the potential of accelerating the renovation. This work was originally scheduled to start after completion of the new addition, and the proposed schedule began a whole year earlier. This would allow all structural and roofing work to be completed prior to the renovation’s original start date, and would give the project team the ability to start interior works immediately. Based on the proposal, the schedule was accelerated by three months.