This project consists of the rehabilitation of and new additions to the four-story West Block (one of Canada’s Parliament Buildings) and construction of the Visitor Welcome Centre. The West Block received the "Classified" designation in 1987 from the Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office (FHBRO). Besides its unmistakable architectural value, the West Block houses ministers, members of Parliament, their employees, committee rooms, and an important ceremonial space—the Confederation Room. The first phase of the building was designed in 1859, in the Gothic Revival style, and officially opened in 1865. Major renovations to the interior and exterior of the building were completed in 1965.
PCL’s contribution to this rehabilitation includes the restoration of existing exterior load-bearing stone walls and sculptural stone elements, as well as the complete removal and replacement of all building systems. The existing copper roof was replaced, and the windows restored or replaced. The reconstruction restored structural integrity and upgraded seismic capabilities.The Visitor Welcome Centre is a new 60,000-square-foot underground facility consisting of four levels below grade with connections to the West, Centre, and East Blocks.
Approximately 115,000 square feet of new permanent building space (largely excavated out of bedrock) was added to the building’s existing 176,300 square feet of gross floor area. The existing exterior courtyard became the House of Commons Chamber and was covered with a new glazed roof supported by a new steel space-frame on branched columns. The new structure is independent of the original building to accommodate seismic movement. The new glazed roof assembly includes features that allow active environmental control of conditions inside the Chamber.