Paul Douglas serves as chairman of the board of PCL Construction Holdings Ltd., after leading PCL as president and chief executive officer from 2009 to 2016.
Paul’s 31-year career with PCL has taken him across Canada as he’s led teams in Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Ottawa and Toronto, and has been involved in the securement and execution of landmark projects, including Scotiabank Place and the Vancouver Convention Center. Paul joined PCL in 1985 and before retiring in 2016, he held a variety of roles across Canada, including Toronto, Winnipeg and Ottawa, where he established the office as vice president and district manager.
Under Paul’s leadership, PCL consistently maintained a place among the Top 100 Employers in Canada, in the Platinum Club of the Best Managed Companies in Canada, and on the list of Best Employers in Canada. During Paul’s time as CEO, PCL won several awards from the Canadian Construction Association.
Paul not only invested in PCL and its people, but he also lent his hand throughout the community. Throughout his time at PCL, Paul served as a member of the Edmonton Airport’s Business Advisory Committee, The World Presidents’ Organization, and the President’s Think Tank for the University of Alberta. He was also appointed to the board of directors of the Canadian Council of Chief Executives.
A proven leader, Paul distinguished himself as a person who builds trust with his team and took the reigns of the employee-owned organization while continually investing in its success.
Community & Industry Involvement
- Director – Business Council of Canada
- Member – Edmonton International Airport Business Advisory Committee
- Member – World Presidents’ Organization
- Former member, board of directors – Business Council of Canada
Awards & Recongition
- 2004 - General Contractor Award of Excellence – Robert Saunders Memorial Award – Canadian Construction Association
- 2008 - Inaugurated into Canadian Design-Build Institute’s College of Fellows
- 2012 - Distinguished Workplace Leader Award – Alberta Congress Board
- 2013 - Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal Recipient
- 2014 - Community Leader Award – Canadian Construction Association
- 2015 - Salute to Excellence Citation Award – City of Edmonton
- 2015 - Alberta Business Person of the Year – Alberta Venture Magazine
- Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering – University of Toronto
- CCA Gold-Seal certified project manager