MLSE is investing over $350 million into Scotiabank Arena in a multi-phased renovation to further enhance the fan experience at the world-class sports and entertainment venue
TORONTO, ON (October 10, 2023) - Ahead of the venue’s 25th anniversary celebration in February, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE) announced today the Scotiabank Arena Venue Reimagination project, an investment of more than $350 million to further enhance the best-in-class sports and entertainment destination for the future. The comprehensive multi-phase renovations will feature capital improvements to almost all areas within the venue including concourses, suites, premium clubs, retail spaces, food and beverage offerings, state-of-the-art technological innovations and more.
Scotiabank Arena underwent extensive renovations this summer to remodel the venue’s 200 Level Mastercard Executive Suites level along with state-of-the-art technology upgrades in the concourses for a pilot program designed to revolutionize fans’ food and beverage experience. This summer’s renovations, and plans for a remodelling of the 100 Level concourse in 2024, were both unveiled today as part of a Scotiabank Arena Venue Reimagination media tour.
“For 25 years, Scotiabank Arena has been the heartbeat of this city and has established itself as one of the top venues in the world, hosting many of the biggest events in sports and entertainment and creating countless memories,” said Cynthia Devine, Interim President & Chief Executive Officer, MLSE. “This investment by MLSE’s owners is another important example of their commitment to further building on Scotiabank Arena’s global reputation as well as a commitment to our teams, employees, and most importantly, to our fans.”
The Scotiabank Arena Venue Reimagination project is being completed in collaboration with Brisbin, Brook, Beynon Architects, DesignAgency, owner’s representative firm CAA ICON and PCL Construction. Brisbin, Brook, Beynon Architects and PCL Construction originally led the design and construction of the venue which opened in February 1999.
“From bringing the original vision for Scotiabank Arena to life in 1999, to completing latest renovations this past summer, PCL is honored to have played a role in Scotiabank Arena’s legacy for nearly 25 years,” said Marc Pascoli, Senior Vice President and District Manager, PCL Construction. “Congratulations to Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, our partners and all of the tradespeople involved as we celebrate the future of Scotiabank Arena and the continued delivery of a best-in-class experience for fans.”
Scotiabank Venue Reimagination Project – Summer 2023 Activities
This summer, the Venue Reimagination project fully upgraded Scotiabank Arena’s premium spaces on the Mastercard Executive Suites Level (200 Level) as well as added state-of-the-art technology in select locations in the concourses to revolutionise fans’ concession experience. Additional features include:
· An all-new Mastercard Lounge - a first-of-its-kind shared members space overlooking the bowl from the south-west corner of the 200 Level with a premium viewing and dining experience. The Mastercard Lounge taps into the fans’ desire to push the traditional boundaries of the viewing experience and integrates Mastercard’s multisensory strategy by engaging fans’ senses for a heightened game viewing experience. The space features a modern ambiance as well as all-inclusive dining and an interactive Chef’s Table, inspired by a daily menu of Canada’s most premium ingredients created by Michelin Star trained chefs.
· A complete floor to ceiling remodel of all Mastercard Executive Suites with new high-end finishes, stone accents, enhanced in-suite technology, convertible accessible seating as well as vaulted ceilings to expand the viewing area of the bowl.
· The addition of two concession marketplaces with Amazon Web Services’ (AWS) “Just Walk Out” technology, making Scotiabank Arena one of the first Canadian venues to implement this technology. Grains and Greens (100 Level) and Molson Market (300 Level) are designed to eliminate checkout lines and create an effortless experience. Fans enter the marketplaces by using their credit card at the entry gate and AI technology detects what is selected or returned so fans can walk out without waiting in line.
A preliminary phase for the Scotiabank Arena Venue Reimagination project began in 2019 with the addition of a new 2,200 square foot LED videoboard from LG Electronics on the west side of the building to enhance the fan viewing experience in Maple Leaf Square, two additional largescale screens in the Galleria, unique LED colour changing arena signage and a full renovation of Real Sports, one of the city’s favourite sports and entertainment dining venues.
Scotiabank Arena Venue Reimagination Project – Summer 2024 Plans
Following the conclusion of the 2023-24 Maple Leafs and Raptors seasons, an all-encompassing design makeover of the 100 Level concourse will begin along with the construction of new innovative spaces within the walls of the arena.
· Full renovation of the 100 Level concourse with a new contemporary and fan-friendly design. The concourse design will be dynamic with screens, beacons and hubs that transform to fit the look, feel and energy of the event within it.
· Modernized concession stands, transforming eight kiosks into grab & go style markets. The frictionless experience will be complemented with traditional counter service enabling fans to transact faster, spend less time waiting in lines and more time enjoying the event. These markets will feature fresh local food offerings representing the rich diversity of the city alongside arena staples and favourites.
· The expansion of Real Sports Apparel with an additional retail store on the 100 Level concourse for an extended sports merchandise and fan shopping experience.
· Refreshed Hot Stove restaurant on the 200 Level including a new dedicated entrance from the second floor of the Galleria directly into the steakhouse’s front lounge. Hot Stove offers a contemporary steakhouse design that seamlessly blends with its historic charm and is open to all ticket holders for pre-event and event dining.
· An all-new Tunnel Club on Event Level where members become part of the action as they get an exclusive up-close view of players entering the bowl from the locker room while they dine in Scotiabank Arena’s newest premium restaurant. This club will feature high-end design and finishes steps away from their seats.
· Redesigned Gate 6 broadcast studio to enhance the viewing experience for fans at home.
Scotiabank Arena Venue Reimagination Project – Future Vision
Looking ahead at the multi-phase Scotiabank Arena Venue Reimagination, future years will include enhancements to additional fan-facing spaces as well as back-of-house artist and athlete areas to continue to position Scotiabank Arena as a top-ranked live events venue. Some of the upcoming venue updates include a complete design reinvigoration of the 300 Level concourse in line with 100 Level design, the addition of dedicated artist and talent spaces for a premium backstage experience and more improvements to be announced at a later date.
“From concourse innovations, to premium space design, to the storied art on our walls, it was crucial to us to ensure this Scotiabank Arena Venue Reimagination featured improvements that all fans can benefit from,” said Nick Eaves, Chief Venues & Operations Officer, MLSE. “Beginning with the momentum from the renovations made this past summer, we look forward to unveiling to fans the best-in-class design, technology and overall atmosphere enhancements over the course of this multi-phased project that take our fans’ sports and entertainment experience to even greater heights.”
Recognizing Toronto as a hub for arts and culture, the Scotiabank Arena Venue Reimagination project looked to reflect this within the venue in the heart of the city. Earlier this year, MLSE launched a call to artists with the intent of curating a one-of-a-kind museum quality art collection throughout the arena showcasing sport, music, and history telling the story of the rich diversity of Canada. In collaboration with Sports & The Arts (SATA), the venue has added 76 commissioned art pieces to date, ranging from photography to mixed media, created by 34 artists representing diverse communities. As the multi-phase Reimagination project continues, further artists and muralists of all levels and experience and from all backgrounds and cultures will have an opportunity to contribute to this distinguished collection throughout the building.
About Scotiabank Arena
Scotiabank Arena is Canada’s premier sports and entertainment venue and home to the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club and the NBA’s Toronto Raptors Basketball Club. Owned and operated by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE), Scotiabank Arena opened its doors in February 1999 and has been recognized with dozens of industry awards. Scotiabank Arena is often ranked the #1 Canadian arena, is often within the top 10 in the world for live event ticket sales and has also hosted over 80 million fans at over 5,000 events including multiple NHL and NBA playoff runs, hub city for the Eastern Conference teams during the return of the 2020 NHL season, 2019 WWE SummerSlam, 2017 Invictus Games, the 2016 NHL World Cup of Hockey, 2016 NBA All-Star Weekend, 2015 IIHF World U20 Championship, 2000 NHL All-Star Game and looking ahead to the 2024 NHL All-Star Game.
About PCL Construction
PCL is a group of independent construction companies that carries out work across Canada, the United States, the Caribbean and in Australia. These diverse operations in the civil infrastructure, heavy industrial, and buildings markets are supported by a strategic presence in more than 30 major centers. Together, these companies have an annual construction volume of more than $8 billion, making PCL the largest contracting organization in Canada and one of the largest in North America. A top North American sports facility builder for over 20 years, PCL has delivered some of the most iconic facilities. From complex revitalizations to new specialty venues, we excel at building arenas, stadiums and training and practice facilities under the leadership of PCL’s sports division. Watch us build at PCL.com.