Occupying an entire city block in Toronto, the Yonge Sheppard Centre is one of RioCan Management’s largest flagship properties. Delivered in two phases, the complex multi-scope revitalization of this fully operational mega-mall included:
- demolition of 10 existing cinemas,
- renovation and expansion of an active mall and food court,
- highly complex structural foundation upgrades to support a new condo tower,
- new 3-level daycare facility and community space,
- new loading dock for up to 10 semi-trailers,
- complete fit-out of 20 townhome units, and – in Phase 2 –
- the construction of a 36-story residential tower.
The redevelopment of this 1970s shopping center into a vibrant, sustainable, light-filled contemporary space exemplifies the potential for strategic repositioning of real estate assets.
A key challenge was how to support the existing structure through operational parking levels while upgrading the vertical concrete elements and building a new concrete elevator core.
Through expert consultation and team collaboration, PCL devised a temporary support system that would satisfy the design, sequencing and logistical requirements of the project.
The existing suspended structural slabs were held in place while removing and replacing the supporting columns, walls and footings … no easy feat and all implemented by phased construction allowing the parking garage to remaining fully operational throughout.