This construction management services contract serves to preserve, rehabilitate, and fit-up the Government Conference Centre for Public Works and Government Services Canada. The two-stage project, across the street from the Fairmont Chateau Laurier hotel and adjacent to the Rideau Canal, has transformed the 100-year-old structure, designated a Classified Federal Heritage Building, into the interim Senate accommodation as the Centre Block of Parliament is rehabilitated.
The project involves investigating the existing building components, abatement and selective demolition, major structural upgrades to existing masonry, security steel/ballistic glazing structures, seismic upgrades, complete removal and new mechanical and electrical systems with two new mechanical rooms, IT infrastructure and equipment, security infrastructure and devices, new vertical circulation throughout, new loading dock, interior fit-up that includes new office spaces and meeting rooms, rehabilitation of heritage fabrics and kitchen areas, and landscaping and exterior lighting work. Historical rehabilitation includes stabilization and repair of vaulted plaster ceilings and walls, iron facade and iron window repairs, selective marble salvage and reuse, wood window and door repairs, repair and selective replacement of exterior stone façade, and light fixture refurbishment.
From its completion in 1912 until mid-1966, the station served railway passengers in the heart of downtown Ottawa. Known initially as the Grand Trunk Central Station and later as Union Station, the building was acquired by the Crown in 1967 and repurposed for centenary celebrations that year, saving it from imminent demolition. After several years of disuse, the building was sanctioned as a “temporary” conference centre and has continued to function as such until the present day.